Badges from the opening day of the original Sunshine Skyway Bridge

Abstract/Description: These badges were worn by city commissioners on the opening day of the original Sunshine Skyway Bridge. They are made from red ribbon attached to hanging medals, that include a typewritten name plate on the top. The name plates of both read “Comm. Walter R. Gramling” and “Mrs. W. R. Gramling." These badges belonged to the parents of Sally Yoder, board member and current curator of the collection at the Gulf Beaches Historical Museum. The medals also read, “Dedication opening,” “Sunshine Skyway,” and “Sept. 6, 1954.” Walter R. "Doc" Gramling (1900-1972) was a member of Pass-a-Grille Community Church; Gulf Beach Lodge 291, F.&A.M.; Tampa Scottish Rite bodies; St. Petersburg York Rite bodies; and Egypt Temple Shrine, Tampa. He was the director of Egypt Temple Oriental Band, past president of Holiday Isles Shrine Club, and twice commodore of Pass-a-Grille Yacht Club in addition to being a Town of Pass-a-Grille commissioner. A 1920 graduate of University of Pittsburgh's School of Pharmacy, he was the former owner of Johnstown Physicians' Supply Co.
Subject(s): Pinellas County
Sunshine Skyway Bridge (Fla.)
Sunshine Skyway Bridge (Fla.)--History.
Bridges
Inauguration
Medals--1950-1960.
Medals--1940-1970.
MEDAL
Badges